I have been taking yoga consistently for two years. I truly believe that one never masters every yoga pose.
I continually learn new things about each pose and new things about my own body.
I am amazed that after two years I am still adjusting and improving my downward dog and making it better. It seems like such a simple and easy pose. But it is really very complex.
The more I practice yoga the more intrigued I am by it. Besides that it is an amazing workout that works on flexibility, balance, patience, stretching, etc. each pose has a purpose to your body externally but also internally.
This simple seated twist does all of this:
Benefits (according to Yoga Journal Web site)
- Stretches the spine, shoulders and hips
- Massages the abdominal organs
- Relieves lower backache, neck pain and sciatica
- Helps relieve stress
- Improves digestion
- Especially good in the second trimester of pregnancy for strengthening the lower back
- Therapeutic for carpal tunnel syndrome
If you look up a pose on the Yoga Journal Web site there is a menu below the description. If you click on benefits it will list all the great things that one pose does. Pretty amazing.