Most places in North America will Spring Forward tomorrow at 2 a.m. (The UK and Europe will follow in a couple of weeks.)
Being from Arizona I never had to do this until I moved to Oregon in 1997. And initially I had no issues with the time change.
It’s different now and has been for some time.
I hate changing time. Yes, it is only one hour. But whether we are Springing Forward or Falling Back it completely messes me up.
If I have time tomorrow I would like to take the 6 p.m. Restorative yoga class. I think that will really help me sleep better tomorrow night.
Sometimes the Restorative yoga teacher gives us tips if we are having trouble sleeping. A good stretch while lying on your back: Spread your arms and hands and your feet and yours legs and then let go.
This is my advice on how to deal with the time change:
- Don’t go to bed too late tonight.
- Make sure you have breakfast tomorrow.
- Try not to eat a lot of crap. Stick to fruits and veggies as snacks instead of sugary or salty foods.
- Drinks lots of water tomorrow (but also today and always).
- Exercise. (I will be going to my regular yoga class tomorrow morning. Even going for a walk will be helpful.)
- Keep up the exercise throughout the week, especially on Monday. It will be tough, but well worth it.
- If you do nap tomorrow (I love my weekend naps), don’t nap too late.
- If caffeine really affects you (doesn’t really for me) maybe cut back tomorrow and definitely don’t have it too late in the day.
- Try to start winding your day down an hour before you go to bed. If you normally go to bed around 10, then at 9 make sure you are done for the day and ready for Monday’s workday. Do something relaxing for that hour: read a book, knit, lounge.