My friend Jen asked for some advice for someone who is new to WW and going on vacation. Jen doesn’t want to reverse all of her hard work. And I totally understand.
So, let me first say that I don’t know all of details of the newest Weight Watchers plan. But I think I can still give some advice for travel.
- If you know the name of a restaurant you are planning to eat at, think about looking at the menu ahead of time, if available.
- Plan on staying at a hotel with a kitchenette so you can make some of your own meals.
- Take snacks with you–ones that can travel and you can keep in your purse or backpack.
- Take a water bottle with you. And drink lots of water.
- Drink alcoholic beverages in moderation (one I don’t normally follow). Or try to stick to wine (or beer). If you go for the fuu-fuu fruity drinks you have no idea how many calories you are consuming. You just know it is a lot.
- Normally when I travel there is a lot of walking involved. Plan on walking places as much as possible.
- Find out if your hotel has a gym and plan take tennis shoes and workout clothes.
- When eating out have soup or salad (dressing on the side) before your meal to help fill you up.
- Order appetizer or two for a meal.
- Share a meal with your travel partner.
- Try to eat lots of fruits and veggies.
- If your meal comes with fries or something else high in fat and calories ask if you can substitute with a side salad (dressing on the side). (You can also use oil and vinegar as dressing.)
My last bit of advice is to remember that you are on vacation. Enjoy yourself. One of the best parts of travel is the food. Always remember when you come back home you can get back into your routine.